Senior Construction Materials Testing Technician (or Inspector)
Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast.
GMC Geotechnical & Construction Services Division is currently seeking full-time and part-time Senior Construction Materials Testing Technician (or Inspector) in the Birmingham, AL area. Primary duties may include performing QA/QC tests (soils, masonry, reinforced concrete, structural steel, post-tensioning, fireproofing, etc.). Travel will be required with overnight stays periodically. The position will be predominately field located.
For this position, the candidate will be providing quality control testing and ICC special inspection duties for commercial, retail, educational, low to high-rise, manufacturing, transportation, etc. construction projects. Successful candidates must perform on site observations/inspections to confirm compliance with the local building code and project contract documents, collect samples per ASTM & project requirements, perform specific QA/QC tests on construction materials and building components per ASTM, ACI, etc. standards, and maintain detail records of observations, inspections and test results. Work is generally performed unsupervised (i.e. employee is in the field as the Company’s representative) but under the direction of a Professional Engineer or Project Manager.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- 5+ years’ experience performing multi-discipline special inspections & tests for ICC certified inspectors
- ACI Level I (minimum) for concrete sampling/testing, or the ability to secure such
- ICC Certification (in either some or all) - Soils, Structural Concrete, and Masonry, ability to obtain are a plus
- NICET Level II in soils (a plus, but not required)
- Radiation safety trained for the use of Nuclear Density Gauges, or the ability to secure such is a plus
- The ability to read plans & specifications
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Valid State Driver’s license with clean driving record
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.