Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast.
GMC places high value in being part of the communities that we serve. We encourage every team member to set professional goals and we provide guidance and mentorship to help you grow to reach them. We value employee feedback and use that to inform strategic planning efforts. We offer all of this and more along with competitive benefits. Our mission is to create opportunities for our team members and the people we serve in order to build communities that thrive.
GMC has an opening for Landscape Designer to support on-going projects in our Birmingham, AL office. We are looking to add motivated team members with entry level and up to 6 years of experience to collaborate in a multidisciplinary design office in Birmingham, AL. New team members will have the opportunity to grow professionally and personally in working with many design industry experts and clients across a range of project types, both public and private. Work experience in Birmingham will focus primarily across Alabama, with opportunities in other parts of the southeast.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
Under the supervision and direction of Professional Landscape Architects and Planners to:
• Assist in design and creating work products in both landscape and planning projects
• Collaborate on design and planning projects with project managers, planners, engineers, and architects both written and orally.
• Prepare both hand drawn and digital visual representations of outdoor spaces.
• Prepare, present, and edit design images (plan, section, perspectives, 3D model) to fit changes, critiques, or suggestions by clients and/or project leadership.
• Assist in the production of construction level drawings under the leadership of Professional Landscape Architect including: hardscape, planting schedules and design, construction details, and others.
• Visually Inspect project sites and provide written reports under the direction of landscape architect and other project leaders.
• Assist with production of cost estimate and bidding documents
• Complete various administrative tasks
• BLA from accredited institution (Comparable Degree Program to be considered on a case-by-case basis)
• Willingness to work on Landscape Architectural and Planning projects
• Working knowledge in the following programs based on one’s education and experience:
- Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)
- Sketch-up (and/or other 3D modeling software).
• Ability to produce hand graphics and digital graphics in a timely manner
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to receive constructive critiques and apply feedback to design work products
• Eagerness to grow and learn in a multidisciplinary team environment
• Provide work samples or portfolio upon request
Preference may be given to candidates demonstrating the following:
• Lumion Software experience
• Masters in Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning, or Urban Design
• Ability to compile and assemble construction documents
• Familiarity in assembling technical specifications for construction projects
• Landscape or Design Project Management experience
• Experience in work in a multidisciplinary design either as intern or professional
• Knowledge of and experience with landscape construction materials and details
• Knowledge of and experience with grading and drainage
• Experience in public planning project types or as public planning staff
• Experience in applying Zoning, Entitlements, or Codes of Ordinances to design projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.