Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast.
GMC has an opening for Environmental Intern to support on-going projects in the Andalusia, AL; Auburn, AL; Birmingham, AL; Daphne, AL; Eufaula, AL; Huntsville, AL; Mobile, AL; Montgomery, AL; Vernon, AL; Pensacola, FL; Sarasota, FL; Tampa, FL; Atlanta, GA; Augusta, GA; Savannah, GA; New Orleans, LA; Charlotte, NC; Columbia, SC; Charleston, SC; Greenville, SC; Franklin, TN, and Nashville, TN offices. The position involves field work related to stormwater system mapping and inspections to identify structural issues, perform monitoring, and assessing overall condition based on a set of qualitative attributes. The position may also include water quality monitoring, wetland delineations, and other environmental field work and reporting as needed.
Position: The GIS/Field Technician will work with a team that provides services to local governments related to NPDES Stormwater Permit compliance and other environmental services. The selected candidate will work as part of a two-person team that will focus primarily on the field inspection using GPS handheld equipment of stormwater features in the Atlanta area.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Experience using ArcGIS and GPS is preferred
- Ability to collect field data in an organized, neat, professional manner
- Use equipment and tools, such as a GPS device, pole camera, and other equipment needed to perform the inspections
- General familiarity with data collection processes and the ability to troubleshoot technical issues in the field
- Ability to read and interpret maps
- Outdoor work (maybe stand for long periods, walk long distances, etc.)
- Occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds, particularly opening manhole lids
- Inspect and record data associated with stormwater conveyance systems
- Extensive local travel with limited office hours for data processing and other tasks
- May be required to perform water quality monitoring
- Applicant must have the ability to communicate effectively, work independently and follow instruction
- Experience and knowledge of NPDES MS4 Phase I and Phase II permit programs is a plus
- It is preferred that the candidate be working towards or have an undergraduate degree from an accredited program in the following or closely related field of study: Environmental Science, Marine Science, Planning, Engineering, or Geography
- Experience in Microsoft Office also preferred
- No overnight travel is anticipated for this position. Occasional local day travel may be necessary
- Position Type/Expected Hours of Work Full-time (40-hour/week) position. Part-time hours may also be considered
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.