Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast.GMC has an opening for a Geotechnical Engineer to support ongoing projects in Birmingham, Alabama office. The candidate will have Geotechnical oversight over projects in Alabama and the surrounding region. Our Birmingham office consists of engineers (civil, municipal, transportation, and environmental), architects, landscape architects, planners and more. The candidate will have Geotechnical oversight over projects in Alabama and will also work with our offices in Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Manage the growth of the Geotechnical Division in the Birmingham office and work closely with the surrounding offices
- Manage the practice to achieve maximum profitability and growth
- Ensure high quality deliverables in a timely and efficient manner
- Effectively manage client base and client satisfaction
- Prepare proposals and technical reports
- Serve as a technical leader, providing expert technical advice as necessary
- Train and mentor staff engineers and provide guidance to field technicians
- Oversee materials (soils and concrete) laboratory and certification program
- Assist Executive Vice President, office leaders, architects, and engineers in planning, staffing, management and business development
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent is required. MS Geotechnical preferred
- P.E. License, or qualifications to obtain Alabama P.E. license within one year, is required
- Must have at least 5 to 10 years of relevant experience in Geotechnical Engineering, preferably in the Alabama area
- Displays strong technical skills and is capable of mentoring team members
- Depending on experience, senior review/authorship of geotechnical engineering reports and proposals
- Knowledge of both geotechnical and construction materials testing projects and the associated field and laboratory testing
- Client and project management of geotechnical engineering projects
- Participate in the training and mentoring of technical and operational staff.
- Direct complex subsurface exploration and testing programs
- Is results-oriented with superior skills in organization, planning and attention to detail
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Displays strong leadership and personnel management skills
- Is proactive in the advancement of business development
- Works well with others to achieve common goals
- As required per project (15-25% expected)
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must possess intermediate to advanced computer skills (MS Office and relevant technical software required), including the ability to learn various types of company / client software
- Ability to communicate effectively with entry level and experienced internal technical personnel and external clients both in oral and written techniques are essential. Advanced organizations skills that demonstrate the ability to manage multiple tasks on complex projects with specific timelines is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.