Quality Control / Construction Administer (Architecture)
Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast, with offices located throughout Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
GMC has an opening for an architecture or construction professional with extensive experience in Quality Control / Construction Administer (Architecture) in our Nashville, TN office to lead our efforts during the construction of our projects. The ideal candidate is a successful Project Architect or Project Manager and is particularly adept at Construction Administration and all it entails. This is a unique opportunity to fill a critical role at an established, respected, and very successful firm, working on a wide variety of project types including K-12 education, higher education, sports, office, hospitality, municipal, healthcare, and general commercial. Professionals with a background in Construction Administration, working as a successful Project Manager with a keen interest in construction, or with a background in Project Management with a general contractor will all be considered.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Support the lead architect on assigned projects during the design and construction phases of work.
- Perform peer reviews of Construction Documents at various stages during design and prior to issuance.
- Be a resource and provide mentorship to staff during the design phases of projects
- Perform regular on-site observations to monitor a projects conformance with the construction documents and design intent. Timely communicate concerns with Project Architect.
- Provide field reports on a timely basis of field observations
- Review submitted Change Orders and Cost Proposals from contractor.
- Review monthly Contractor Pay Applications for thoroughness and verification of completion progress
- Assist Project Architect on the issuance, management and the timely turnaround of Supplemental Instructions, Change Order Directives and Proposal Requests
- Perform Final Punch list and final walk thru on projects as project construction completes
- Assist in the issuance of Substantial Completion and Project Closeout. Stay abreast of current construction practices, technologies and professional liability issues.
- Regularly share and communicate to staff lessons learned
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in commercial architecture and/or commercial construction
- Strong Organizational skills
- Track record of meeting deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of Building and Fire Codes
- Strong ability to read plans and specifications
- Strong understanding of cross discipline coordination
- Strong understanding of construction detailing and constructability
- Understanding of engineered systems
- Proven ability to effectively communicate within a busy architectural firm, with consultants, clients and general contractors
- Must be able to travel (typically day trips).
- Understanding Microsoft office suite
- Comfortable reading plans and providing mark ups in electronic formats
- Experience with a variety of file share, scheduling and project management software.
- As needed to client site (anticipated to be 25-30%)
We are a regional firm with national experience located in 22 offices throughout the Southeastern United States. We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.