Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast, with offices located throughout Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
GMC has an opening for a Civil Engineer to support on-going projects in the Nashville, TN office. This position will prepare reports, site plans, permit documents, construction schedules, and studies as assigned.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Ability to apply technical skills to routine projects with minimal supervision
- Can direct technicians for production of engineering documents for routine projects accurately and efficiently
- Executes cross discipline checks and coordination
- Reviews complete project documents for conformity and quality assurance
- Recognizes and reports risk management issues to Project Engineer as appropriate
- Assist in learning the needs of assigned clients
- Understand the profession’s ethical obligation to Client and the public welfare
- Assist with reviewing and defining scope of work issues with Consultants and Contractors
- Work across disciplines and office locations to fully utilize firm experiential knowledge.
- Assist others with technical mentoring
- Recognize the role as a team player
- Represent the firm in all aspects of projects and assignments to prospective employees, clients, and the communities we serve
- Ability to respond to common inquiries from Clients or regulatory agencies
- Prepare reports and technical memorandums with oversight and supervision by the Engineer-of-Record
- Ability to effectively present information in oral and written format
- May direct or coordinate the work of technicians and others who assist in specific assignments
- Continually participate in Individual Development planning and programs
- Provides input to improving project delivery processes and standards
- Contributes to Client Services team
- Actively participate in local professional society
- Participate in community service activities and understand implications of involvement
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering from ABET accredited university
- 5+ years post-graduation professional experience
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD software. Experience with Civil3D is preferred
- Working knowledge of HydroCAD (stormwater modeling software or similar)
- A/E or EPC experience
- Professional Engineer License in Tennessee or ability to obtain within 6 months
- FIELD (20%) AND OFFICE (80%)
- This position requires work to be performed in an office environment and in the field. Work done in the field may consist of exposure to various types of weather and temperatures. Engineers may also be exposed to pollutants, chemicals, insects, and possibly water-borne pathogens, Employees are required to wear appropriate protective clothing and gear when performing fieldwork.
We are a regional firm with national experience located in 22 offices throughout the Southeastern United States. We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.