Electrical Designer / Drafter
Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms in the Southeast, with offices located throughout Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
GMC has an opening for Electrical Drafter / Designer to support on-going projects in Montgomery, AL. Drafter responsibilities include gathering drawings and specifications, calculating material and equipment requirements and setting up production methods. Hands-on experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software.
Essential functions and responsibilities include:
- Liaise with architects and engineers to gather product and structural requirements and designs
- Assist electrical engineers on designing power distribution, lighting, lighting controls, fire alarm, and telecommunication systems including security, TV, audio/visual, intercom, PA, etc.
- Describe production methods step-by-step (including equipment and software types to be used)
- Create detailed designs with computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Design diagrams, maps and layouts to illustrate workflow
- Prepare and review rough sketches and review them along with the engineering team
- Identify potential operational issues and redesign products to improve functionality
- Ensure final designs comply with regulations and quality standards
- Create manuals that describe existing products’ operation, features and maintenance
- Comprehensive knowledge/experience with Microsoft Office products as well as modeling software such as AutoCad and Revit. Experience with MicroStation is preferred, but not required.
- Proven work experience as a Drafter or similar role
- Good math skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills are a must.
- BSc in Engineering, Architecture or degree from a technical college
- Additional certification from the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA) is a plus
- Local job site travel as needed per project
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are a regional firm with national experience located in 22 offices throughout the Southeastern United States. We believe in community, collaboration, and using the power of creativity and hard work to make a difference. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all of the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.