Technical Writer (Location: TBD)
GMC is seeking a Technical Writer with 5-7 years of experience to work on engineering projects within the GMC footprint. The Technical Writer will work with a multidisciplinary team of subject matter experts, designers, developers, and project managers, among others. This is an outstanding opportunity to join a growing firm that will offer unlimited growth potential.
Candidates will provide technical writing support and develop various technical and program/project management artifacts and documents working directly with engineers. Artifacts may include standard operating procedures and process documentation. Candidates may also facilitate technical meetings and record meeting minutes, distributing those minutes and tracking action items post-event.
- Write and review technical documents such as technical memoranda, reports, project narratives, personnel resumes, and project specifications for technical accuracy and consistency in the engineering field
- For technical memoranda and reports:
- Communicate complicated scientific topics
- Copyediting technically dense materials
- Understanding a project’s breadth of content in order to provide recommendations to project leadership about gaps in project materials
- For specifications:
- Review drawings and other documents to write, edit, and assemble specifications for projects
- Coordinate compliance with GMC and practice standards, project requirements, technical conditions, institutional guidelines, and existing laws, regulations and codes
- Interpret project design requirements and translate those requirements into materials, methods, procedures, and certification testing necessary to provide the narrative descriptions which are used to procure, install and erect building components
- Coordinate and review consultant technical specifications for conformance with GMC standards
- Develop new specification sections as needed
- Participate in QA/QC reviews and checks on project documents
- For project narratives and personnel resumes:
- Communicate complicated scientific topics into multiple mediums for a lay audience
- Clearly communicate personnel experience as it relates to proposals
- Understanding a project’s breadth of content in order to tell a projects success story in a clear and concise manner
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Exceptional writing, grammar, punctuation, editing and proofreading skills. Writing and copyediting are primary responsibilities for this position.
- Knowledge of engineering design, hydraulics, water/wastewater treatment, construction methodology, building systems, engineering coordination, and product/material appropriateness
- Knowledge of construction procedures and schedules
- Must have technology acumen and a demonstrated ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to both lay and technical audiences about the functionality and technical specifications of a technical product (via email, web content and videos, presentations, and other written and visual materials).
- Demonstrated experience with attention to detail, meticulous record-keeping, and ability to manage shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, set priorities appropriately, and organize workload effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Determination to produce results within project schedule
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Bluebeam/Adobe, and Outlook
- Relevant BS degree required
- Construction Specifications Institute certification preferred (CDT)
Please include a writing sample with your resume when applying.
This position may be filled as either in-person or remote, determined by the location of a qualified candidate.