Construction Materials Testing Technician
GMC's Geotechnical & Construction Services Division is currently seeking full-time and part-time Entry Level Construction Materials Testing Technicians and interns in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Primary duties may include performing QA/QC tests (soils, masonry, reinforced concrete, structural steel, post-tensioning, fireproofing, etc.) as well as soils and concrete laboratory testing. Travel may be required. The position will be predominately field located on construction sites.
For these positions, employees will be providing quality control testing and ICC special inspection duties for commercial, retail, educational, low to high-rise, manufacturing, transportation, etc. construction projects. Successful candidates must perform on-site observations/inspections to confirm compliance with the local building codes and project contract documents, collect samples per ASTM & project requirements, perform specific QA/QC tests on construction materials and building components per ASTM, ACI, etc. standards, and maintain detailed records of observations, inspections and test results. Work is generally performed unsupervised (i.e. employee is in the field as the company’s representative) but under the direction of a professional engineer or project manager.
- Some construction experience is preferred but not required
- Ability to obtain required certifications such as ACI Level I (minimum) for concrete sampling/testing; ICC Certifications in Soils, Structural Concrete, Post-tensioning, Masonry, Fireproofing; Radiation safety training for the use of Nuclear Density Gauges
- The ability to read plans & specifications
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Must be able to work independently and with a team to achieve goals
- Must be detail oriented
- Must be able to walk and stand continuously throughout the day
- Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 70 pounds on a regular basis
- Must be willing to participate in and pass GMC’s pre-employment screening including a background investigation, drug screening and driving record
- Requires a valid, clean driver’s license, as travel to job sites is required
- Must continue to maintain a safe driving record and valid driver’s license to fulfill travel requirements of this position
Goodwyn Mills Cawood (GMC) is one of the region's largest privately-held architecture and engineering firms, with more than 400 employees. We are a regional firm with national experience located in 19 offices throughout the southeastern United States. Whether designing schools, parks, hospitals and other commercial developments, or providing clean water, safe streets and restoring resilient environments, GMC takes great pride in serving our communities through the transformative work we do. Every project is guided by the foundational concept that communities are built by people, not companies, and we strive to serve our communities with quality, integrity, creativity and care. One of the Southeast’s most comprehensive multi-disciplined firms, GMC is equipped to provide all the services associated with architecture, interior design, civil engineering, environmental services, landscape architecture, planning, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, electrical engineering, surveying and disaster recovery.